Adventurous Kate contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Most people who visit the town of Assisi, Italy, are on a pilgrimage to the basilica and tomb of St. Francis, pictured above. While both places are well worth seeing — particularly the Giotto frescoes in the basilica — my favorite part of Assisi was climbing to Rocca Maggiore.
Rocca Maggiore, a medieval fort built in in the twelfth century, sits on a hill far above Assisi. Considering that Assisi itself is atop a steep hill, you can’t even imagine how far up Rocca Maggiore is! That said, you won’t need to climb — just walk up the steep streets.
Entering the fort costs a few Euros. To get to the tower, you need to walk down this hallway. It’s barely six feet tall and covered with impossibly narrow windows, just wide enough through which to shoot arrows.
Then you climb one final ladder and step into sunlight.
Remember to breathe. It’s difficult, I know!
There’s no doubt why Umbria is called the Green Heart of Italy.
After climbing down from the tower, sit back and enjoy the landscapes.
Or just storm the castle.
Planning a Trip to Italy:
- What NOT to Do in Italy
- Solo Female Travel in Italy: Is it Safe?
- Ultimate Guide to Driving in Italy
- How to Stay at an Agriturismo in Italy
- 40 Italy Landmarks to Experience Once In Your Lifetime
- 30 Stunning Mediterranean Islands To Visit In Your Lifetime
- 30 Italian Cities To Visit Once In Your Lifetime
Cool Places in Southern Italy:
Cool Places in Sicily:
- 22 Best Places to Visit in Sicily
- The Joys and Challenges of Traveling in Sicily
- Where to Go in Eastern Sicily
- 23 Fun Things to Do in Palermo, Sicily
- Complete Guide to the Aeolian Islands, Sicily
- Aci Trezza: A Laid-Back Coastal Town in Sicily
- Visiting Sicily in the Winter: Worth it or not?
- 30 Iconic Dishes To Try In Sicily
Cool Places in Northern Italy:
- Three Weeks in Northern Italy: An Itinerary
- Parma, Italy: A Colorful, Artsy, Delicious Town
- Where to Stay in Rome: Best Neighborhoods and Accommodation
- Three Days in the Dolomites: A South Tyrol Getaway
- Best Day Trips from Florence, Italy
- The Immaculate, Bursting Mosaics of Ravenna, Italy
- 25 Best Food Experiences in Emilia-Romagna, Italy